Monday, January 28, 2008

Fisherman/Hunter Soap Experiment

Yesterday I played with the colorants that I got from Sally. I used some star anise oil, made a big(for me) batch of soap to give the grands with their b/day socks. They are all hunters and fisherman, so I will label half the bars Fishermans soap and the other half will be labeled Hunters Soap.
I like the way the colors came out using them 'as is'. Now that I know what they look like in the soap, I will be playing with them next time to dull them down a tiny bit. Of course, they are not nearly as bright as they appear in my pictures. I don't have a clue as to why my camera picks up some colors the way it does. What appears to be red in this pic is actually a brown with a little bit of a reddish cast to it. In another batch, I will put just the tiniest bit of black in the brown and in the green. And the base has a little reddish cast to it. I put just the tiniest bit of the brown in it. Next time I will use more brown and a tiny bit of black in the base to darken it just a titch and dull it down a tiny bit.
Did I mention that I like the soap the way it is, too. LOL It isn't what I envisioned when I planned this soap. However, I had no experience with the colorants, so I wasn't really sure what I would end up with. This is not only acceptable, it's very nice. The grands and dh will be very pleased with their 'camoflauge' soapies. And they smell good enough to eat. I love black licorice and that is what they smell like.
I love it when a 'learning' batch turns out to be such nice soap.
I am already planning the next batch of soap. I have some grapefruit, orange, lemon, clove, and jasmine that I am going to play around with. Tropical Breeze anyone?
Probably before I do that, I will make an oatmeal/lavender batch to have curing for our own shower and to try out on the fur babies. I have goatsmilk and coconut milk in the freezer for a future play session, too.
Fun, fun, fun, daddy please don't take my soap pot away.Lol
Ta, D































1 Comments:

At 12:23 PM , Blogger Mamere Knits Too Much said...

that is too cool! love those colors! and really like the heart shape soap. i'm going to have to research soap making ~ where'd you start?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home