Saturday, January 26, 2008

Chocolate Swirl Heart Soapies!

Earlier this week I made this chocolate soap. It looked great in the pot. I took out some plain soap before I added the melted bakers choc. and Dark Rich Choc. fragrance oil. Yummy smelling in the pot.
At very thin trace I poured it into my mold. It thickened fairly quickly so I had to hustle to get the plain soap poured in and swirled. I wasn't real pleased with the swirl job. But, hey I haven't had much practice, either. When this came out of the oven, It was bubbly on top and I thought I might have another failed batch on my hands. I don't really know why the choc. soaps are bubbling on me. But, I have to think it has something to do with the choc. itself. Because none of my other soaps have done it. I was really disappointed, these were planned as part of gift baskets for my girls next month. And I don't have any more Choc. FO. So, I waited and when I took the soap out of the mold, it was really nice soap, just had that bubbly top. I had gotten some heart cookie cutters, so I figured why not play with them, anyway. I got the double heart cutter at JoAnns and the single heart cutters are silicone that I got from Target. I really like them. I got the soap a little on the thick side for the depth of the cutters. But with the help of a tiny little paring knife, I was able to get them cut.
Today, I went to the mart of wally and found a silicone mandolin slicer with stainless steel blade. I wish it didn't have little ridges on its bed, but I am so glad that I got it. It was under $5. and did a really nice job of taking the bubbly tops off my hearts. I will continue to look for one with a smooth surface and a little wider blade. But, I am having fun with this
one. In some ways the soaps look a little 'hand-crafted', but that is really more pleasing to me than if they were perfect and 'commercial' looking. Oh, and I'm really liking this soap, now.
Sunday may bring another batch of soap. Possibly the hunter/fisherman soap that I have been planning and that I need to get done very soon if I am going to give them as gifts on Feb. 23. for DGS N. I'm to the point of the heel turn on his b/day socks, too.
The youngest DGS J. asked for 'manly scented' soaps for his b/day along with his b/day socks. His 13th b/day is Mar. 8. I have ordered 2 manly scent FOs and they should be here mid-Feb.
Today, I used the lavender/rosemary soap in the shower. I love it, it sudsed very well. In fact, I used it to wash my hair. I had volumes of suds. More than I usually get with my regular shampoo. It rinsed well and my hair feels great. My scalp usually itches even before my hair is completely dry. Today, I have gone all day without my scalp itching. Yippee! I'll continue using that soap for a week or so to see if that continues. What a cool hobby! Ta, D



































1 Comments:

At 5:29 PM , Blogger SingingWolf said...

Now why haven't I found your blog before?

Lovely swirls...and I really love the hearts.

Are you using the Dark Chocolate FO from BB? I haven't tried it in CP yet, but it's lovely paired with the BB champaign in M&P. (Had a minor cutting accident and don't dare play with lye or raw CP until my thumb heals...but the soaping muse must be satisfied somehow. LOL)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home