Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Sockies for Baby Penny's friends and many more

These little guys are for April to take to China when she goes over to get little Penny. I met little Penny's grandma Penny on one of the Yahoo groups and knit some booties for April to take over. then I lost track of Penny(the grandma) for quite a while. A couple weeks ago I ran across her blog while surfing around some other blogs. Discovered that little Penny was still waiting for April to come get her and bring her home(adoptions take time). So, I contacted grandma Penny and offered her 3 pair of little sockies that I had sitting here waiting to go to Children in Common(can knit more for them later). She was pleased to get them, so I said I would send them along to April. Well, never being one to leave well enough alone, I whipped out 3 more pair and now I will be mailing them later this week. The pair at 12 oclock is made with Paton Classic Merino in a dark teal.
At 2 oclock is a pair made with some blue/teal/pink handspun by my dear friend Mary A. in MO.(toes are Patons Cl. Mer.). At 4 oclock is another pair made from some med. cocoa brown handspun that came from Mary A, too.
At 6 and 8 oclock are 2 pair made from a nice soft medium denim blue ragg-look Patons cl. mer. At 10 oclock is another pair made with yarn from Mary A, this is a soft light plum/pink combo(toes dk. plum Cascade 220). There are going to be some warm toes in that orphanage when April delivers these.


They were all knit on anywhere from 24 to 32 sts, depending on the yarn.








These are the slipper socks that I am working on for DGD H. and they need to be done by Sat. evening. I'm so happy to have the heel completed. I always feel like I'm in the home stretch when I get the heel gusset decreases finished. These ae on size 6US needles and I'm using LB Woolease(color, Blue Heather) andFun Fur. Like so many knitters, I'm not crazy about Fun Fur. But, H. is turning 14 yo and she will love them. I cast on 44 sts and worked K1,P1 for about 2 inches, then I dropped the FF and continued in K2,P2 for the rest of the cuff (5 more inches). Usual heel flap and turn and stockinette for the rest. Cooler evenings are on there way and H. will enjoy parading around with these on her feet.
I started this pair in the wee hours this morning. They are for Mittens for Akkol.
When I couldn't decide whether I had enough of some cream Galway, I pulled and unknown bright kelly green out of the wool stash. I wound it first with some LB Magic Stripes leftovers in faded denim/tan/white/grey self patterning. When I got to the end of the Magic Str. and still had lots of the green, I whipped out some left over charcoal Cervenia, joined it in and kept on winding. Durned if I didn't run out of that, too. Joined in some Black Cervenia and wounds some more, and yes ran out. Finished off with some Dk. Navy. Whew! That green was wound so tight there must have been a hundred miles of yarn in that ball(donated yarn, already wound when I got it). Anyway, I got out some size 5 US and cast on 48 sts and did a wide K1p1 ribbing and then swithced to K3P1 and now I'm headed down the cuff, in my spare time. LOL


These are awfully dark on my monitor. They are actually a nice sandy color of Pomfret(I don't think its made anymore). Its sport weight and help 3 strands tog. on size 10 US needles, very firm but cushy. Cast on 40 sts, k1p1 ribbed the whole cuff, about 8 or so inches, I just eyeballed it. In this pic the heel flap is about 1 inch. While I was waiting for all these piccies to upload I finished the flap and turned the heel. Yeah!
I'm not hazarding a guess what length these socks will end up. I knit socks by a formula or by trying them on the person who is to receive them. Since I can't try them on anyone, I am using my formula and will know what length they are when they are done. I do know they are going to be bigguns. LOL
DJ

3 Comments:

At 10:08 AM , Blogger Lynn said...

I found your blog thru the CIC group. Could your friend use some more? I have another pair I could add for a child of 5 if they could use it.
lyntintin (at) comcast (dot) net

 
At 11:54 AM , Blogger Knitcrazy said...

Oh The socks..
are Great

Enjoyed reading your post also.. I am sending your blog site to April to read..
Thank You so much...
Lets bookmark our sites so we don't get lost again!!! LOL

XXOO Penny

http://pennyknits.blogspot.com/

 
At 11:22 PM , Blogger Diane said...

Those slipper socks for your DGD are so cute.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home