Sunday, January 01, 2006

Fear of FLAK-ing

I have been dieing to make an aran sweater for the longest time. I haven't done cables in years. Marguerite has been talking about an aran KAL and I keep telling myself “NO”. Well, my mother can tell you that I don't often listen to good sense. LOL Anyway, I finally gave in to temptation and joined the "Follow the Leader Aran Knitalong(FLAK).
We got the cable charts this morning. Oh, my goodness. I don't read charts very well. I'm not a 'picture' kind of reader. I need words! I can see that I am going to be referring to the written explanations a lot.
I have my swatching done for the filler stitches. I made an emergency trip to LYS(Ivelises Yarn Shop/Benton Harbor MI) yesterday and came home and swatched my little heart out on the lovely Cascade 220 that I got there. Bless her heart, she was having a 20% off everything sale(just for me??). So, I just have to have DH do the measuring of my ample body and I can get started.
I am trying to finish up a pair of CIC socks in a pretty bright pink that I thought was Cascade 220, but it may actually be Patons Classic Wool. I can get that at the local grocery/everything store and nobody seems to notice if a skein jumps in my grocery cart every week. Hee-hee-hee! I've really only done it 3 or 4 times, but it is definitely going to be a regular habit. I can't risk running out of CIC yarn, can I?
No pics today. Maybe tomorrow I will get progress pics up of the Flak swatch and my little bright pink CIC socks. I have to cook tomorrow, ummmm, not what I want to do with my time. but the DH want to eat. Really!
I'm off to get measured and start my cable swatching.
DJ

2 Comments:

At 10:12 PM , Blogger Marguerite said...

Welcome to FLAK!

I swatched my cables this afternoon and oh my. I had forgotten how I don't have a good knitting rhythm for knitting cables and how long they take me and how tight the yarn gets on the needles when I do the crosses.

Hopefully FLAK will help me get more comfortable knitting the cables, because I sure do like the looks of them.

What color is your FLAK going to be?

 
At 12:21 AM , Blogger Deby said...

I am glad you didnt let fear stop you from joining FLAK! this is my first Aran sweater. I have done a sweater with a cable but not so many different things in one row! I also dont like to read pictures. So I wrote the words out which was time consuming but made my life easier.
Cant wait to see your swatch.
KnitWit

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home