Sunday, October 01, 2006

Fun with my new wheel

I spent the day at the Weekend Weavers shop taking an all day class with Peggy Coffey,yesterday. She writes a column for the Interweave mag Spin-Off. Oh, Wow!! I had such a great time and Peg is a wonderful teacher and very kind and generous. Some of the wheels in the class were not working right and she just took it in her stride and basically gave them all a tune-up right there during the class, without neglecting any of the students. It was a small class of 5, so there was a lot of one on one time. And the fiber that she gave us was so nice. We spun something called "Cloud" from Quail Hill. It is wool, mohair, alpaca and silk noil. It was soft as a cloud and didn't require any real drafting at all. Wonderful stuff. I will be getting some of that. She gave us 'spin-able' samples of merino, leichester, shetland, and several others that I have forgotten. I know so much more about fiber, the wheel and spinning now than I would have thought possible in just one day. I definitely recommend Peg's classes. And she is just such a down to earth person, a pleasure to deal with. I hope to take another class from her sometime.
I wish I had taken my camera. I met such nice people there and I think all of them will be buying wheels and be real spinners. 3 of them already have sheep and the other one wants them. Me, at this point, I have no hope of having any fiber animals. I do so miss the ones that I used to have, but preparing for retirement meant selling our little mini-farm and moving to a retirement mobile home community. It will be better in many ways, but I don't think I'll ever stop missing my little angora rabbits. I have given thought to getting just one and having it as a house pet, but I know from experience that would mean fur everywhere! And I don't think DH would approve. LOL At least I get to see them at the Michigan Fiber Festival and at the county fairs. That will have to do for now and at least the near future.
I'm at the grand-teens house for the next few days, so I won't be doing any spinning till I get home. I could have brought the drop spindle, but I have several knitting projects that I really need to devote some time to and this gives me time to really concentrate on them.
Gotta run,
DJ

2 Comments:

At 8:02 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:04 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Spinning-I dream about it. No time. No room.
Thank you so much for kind comment today. Made me feel quite chuffed.
bw
colin

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home